Saturday, July 19, 2008

Allocate Special Holidays for Yourself

Just came back from a wonderful holiday with three of my best buddies. Mind you, this was done without the wives and children. What a treat!

Three years ago, my friends and I decided that we should have an annual retreat...men only. This was naturally greeted with much derision, skepticism and suspicions from our wives. I don't blame them. But they relented, albeit very, very, very reluctantly.

Phuket was the venue of our first and second `pilgrimages'; Jakarta was our latest `foray'. So, what do four grown men do when they're all alone, away from the scrutinising eyes of our better halves?

We become boys. Lest your mind starts wandering, it was good fun - playing golf, eating and having a few drinks.

Golfing in Indonesia is a refreshing experience - the golf courses are breathtakingly beautiful, the people are so warm, and everyone seems genuinely happy. My only lament was that my golf scores did not do justice to the wonderful conditions that prevailed. But, who cares.

What am I getting at?

Well, your wives and partners are going to hate me for this. But I'm strongly recommending that if it was possible, without you running the risk of getting a divorce letter or being dumped, go for an all guys holiday. It does wonders for your mental health. Deep down, all men are boys, and we need to return to that boyish abandonment that we left behind. We need to touch base once in a while with our `inner self' to unleash our latent creativity and imagination that resides deep within. Having these holidays will do just that.

And am I saying that only the men get it? No, ladies too can be gals again. You too deserve an all ladies holiday, leaving aside everything and having good, clean gal fun. In fact, it would be most ideal if both the guys and gals take turns to have such holidays.

It would do all of us a great deal of good. It could be worth a "fortune".

To Mervyn, Steven and Lincoln - thanks for the wonderful time. Till next year!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great posting! I really enjoyed your blog and look forward to your future postings.

It really does great wonders to the mind and soul taking the necessary holiday from our everyday lives.

If you ever have the time, please take a moment to look at my blog:
http://TheGreatStone.com

Perhaps we can even exchange links.

-JP